Question: There have to be grants out there to provide funding. Are we, as a district, applying for as many grants as possible?
Answer: We are applying for all the grants we can find that fit our current educational program. When we apply for grants, they very rarely allow us to use money to pay for things we are already doing. They do allow us to make improvements and upgrades we would like to make, but do not have the fund balances to do so. If you are aware of grants you feel we should be looking into, please forward that information along to Mr. Kurz at the District office, or one of the building principals.
As an example, here are some of the grants we have received or applied for in the last few months:
- Maintenance Grant: We applied for a $50,000 matching grant from the state of Illinois. This money is for maintenance work on our existing parking lot at the Unity campus. We are currently taking bids on a wide range of options and will determine the best way to proceed. We have received this grant. As long as we do the project and spend at least $50,000 of our own money we will be able to put $50,000 of the grant money toward that project. We will be making a decision on specifics at our May 7 Board meeting.
- Maintenance Grant: We also submitted a $50,000 matching grant for drainage work at the Unity building. There are some substantial issues that need to be addressed with water runoff, pooling, and drainage. We have received this grant. This will most likely be a project we take on during the summer of 2015. Like the other maintenance grant, the state would match each dollar we spend up to $50,000. Without these improvements we will see an increase in maintenance issues caused by drainage problems.
- America’s Farmers Grow Rural Education from Monsanto: We have written a $10,000 grant to provide additional technology at Greenfield Elementary. We will find out around the start of the 2014-2015 school year if we have received this grant. Because this is an annual process, we are already working on our next application where we will apply for the $25,000 grant. Status is pending.
- Meemic Foundation: We wrote a $1,000 grant for Mendon Elementary. Status is pending.
- Illinois Press Foundation: We wrote a $1,250 grant for Unity High School. Status is pending.