A two-hour delayed start will give us another option when dealing with severe weather conditions. Click below to read more about how this will play out in our district.
A day of teaching/learning in February is not the same as a day of teaching/learning in May/June. The months of January-March are the prime instructional time of a school year. These are the most valuable learning day. We want to use our time well for student learning. At the same time, we also want to take precautions and ensure safety as much as possible.
It is my plan to primarily use the two-hour delayed start to battle dangerous wind chill temperatures AND to make the announcement the night before. This gives everyone a chance to prepare and make the necessary and appropriate arrangements. Obviously, it could be used for other scenarios, but for the most part it will have a very targeted purpose.
Two-Hour Delayed Start Questions and Answers
1. How will parents be notified of a two-hour delayed start?
Parents will be notified by School Messenger, cusd4.com, social media, television, and radio.
2. What time does school start on a two-hour delayed start?
Everything will be two hours later. Buildings will be open for students at 9:30 (instead of 7:30). Unity Middle School and Unity High School will start at 10:00 and Unity Elementary will start at 10:15.
3. What time will the bus pick up my child?
Everything will be two hours later. If the bus usually picks your child up at 7:25, then the bus will pick up your child at 9:25.
4. What time do employees start?
Everything will be two hours later. If an employee usually has to be at school at 7:45 regularly, then they will have to be at school at 9:45.
5. Will there be Blended ECE on a two-hour delayed start?
There will be NO Blended ECE (morning or afternoon).
6. Will breakfast be served on a two-hour delayed start?
No, we will not serve breakfast on those days.
7. Can parents drop their children off early?
No. Parents should make the necessary arrangements to ensure their children arrive at school at the appropriate time. Please do not leave younger children home alone or drop children off early. Buildings will open at 9:30 on a two-hour delayed start.
8. What happens if a practice was scheduled before school?
Any practices scheduled before school on a late start will be cancelled.
9. When will school be dismissed on two-hour delayed starts?
School will be dismissed at regular school dismissal times.
10. How does a two-hour delayed start impact after school activities?
None. All after school activities will take place as originally scheduled.